_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Practical Pre-Production: Time Lapse Test 2

Saturday 4 October 2014

As I intend to use time lapse within my final music video, I wanted to develop and refine the skills I developed from the original set of tests. After experimenting with double exposure in after effects, I composed each sky shot with nothing in the foreground, preventing any element obscuring the outline of the figure which it is overlaid onto. Whilst the tests using the iPhone 6 proved successful, I'm keen to improve the quality of the time lapses, especially if they're going to be manipulated in post production. Also, the iPhone doesn't give me much control over settings such as ISO, limiting the controls to focus and exposure.

I first intended to use a Canon 600D, and set up the shot for a sunset. Considering I have been filming for an hour at a time with the iPhone, I didn't realise the continuous shooting would be such a drain on the camera's battery. After 16 minutes the battery went completely flat, leaving me with perhaps 10 seconds of footage once edited. This is clearly very limiting, especially if I wanted to get multiple time lapse shots over the course of a day. Despite the battery issues, I am pleased with the quality of the footage I did achieve, and would like to use this camera more, preferably with a charger handy!

As I intended to shoot across the weekend with the 600D and did not have access to a charger, I used my contingency plan which was to use my own 1100D. I have shot with this camera before, and the video results have not been brilliant, again with little control over the exposure and ISO of each sequence. My original intention for using the 600D was to get some low-light shots of the night sky, as well as creating some out of focus shots resulting in Bokeh which would look quite abstract after the double exposure process. After attempting this with the 1100D, the results are very noisy and at times over exposed, creating footage which I would dismiss for the final video. I did manage to shoot a single star going across the sky, but this again was not very impressive or particularly usable due to the lack of interest within the frame.

Finally, I revisited the iPhone 6. After gaining footage of a sunset, I found the results to once again be noisy in the low-light, meaning that I would not use this camera either for the final video. However, the next day the sky was very characterful, and I managed to get some footage of a storm approaching. I was actually very impressed by this footage, leading me to the conclusion that the iPhone's strengths lie in well-lit scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________