_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Footage Review 27/10/14

Monday 27 October 2014

As the Canon 600D is college property, in order to use it I need to book it out over several days, leaving a limited time in which I have to film. Because of the low-light capabilities of the camera, I decided to focus today on shooting the sunset and night-time footage. As each sunset is different, I was keen to capture as much footage as possible so it can be shortened down into a time lapse clip. After the sun had set, I continued filming, focusing on the moon which will be a reoccurring element within the chorus, with the intention to film the moon in various stages (at least 4) to portray the transition of time. Similarly to the sunset footage, these natural shots are entirely dependent on weather, and luckily tonight was a clear night, with a clear view of a waxing crescent moon.

As the moon is a distant object, the focal reach of the 18-55mm kit lens caused the moon to appear quite small in the frame. Because of this, I switched lenses to my Tamron 70-300mm lens, which will zoom in far enough to define the moon as well as fill the frame. The exposure of the camera was also very important, as it is a bright object, requiring a lower exposure in order to maintain this definition. This also demonstrated the need for planning; as there was a possibility that I would be shooting footage of the moon, I needed to have taken a zoom lens with me to achieve this.


During the practical pre-production shoots, I found that having only one tripod meant that I could only shoot one piece of footage on each camera at one time. As I found that the Fuji X20 really retained true colour in my test footage, I decided that it would be effective to have it filming the sunset at the same time as the Canon, resulting in two differing yet similar pieces of footage which I can review later. In order to achieve this, I booked out a tripod from College, resulting in two tripods, hence allowing two simultaneous clips to be captured. However, because of the Fuji X20's automatic autofocus, the bright elements in the night sky confused the camera, causing it to constantly shift focus, meaning that all 5 clips that were shot with this camera were unsuccessful. I will bear this in mind in future shoots, using the X20 only during the daytime.

Below are all of the files recorded from today:
Canon 600D Footage
Canon 600D Footage

Fuji X20 Footage
Canon 600D Footage review:


Fuji X20 Footage review:

No comments:

Post a Comment

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________