_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Possible Song Choices

Saturday 20 September 2014

Copyright Free Tracks
When looking for possible tracks to use in my music video, I was inspired by my own personal tastes into older music. Having looked on sites such as freemusicarchive.org and jamendo.com, I couldn't find any music which was to my taste. Instead I discovered unsignedandindependent.com, a monthly magazine which showcases the work of unsigned and independent artists, often found through the website Soundcloud. Whilst the majority of music on Soundcloud is not royalty free, I found four songs created by unsigned artists, so therefore only need their permission to use the track.

The catchy guitar and mysterious vocals really grabbed my attention from the start with this song. The slightly gruff vocals offer a classic rock feel which I really like. The Purple Lights wrote this song about their landlord, with a consistent referral to the 'devil man' adding a slightly humorous edge to this track. A strong beat offers more flexibility for cutting at said intervals, although the imagery could become fairly limited. It is quite long with various repetitions, however I've defined two instrumental sections which could be removed, leaving the song at around 3 minutes long.

A more modern sound, Dry by the Jungle Doctors has a clear lyrical structure which could be developed upon with word association as with Vance Joy's Riptide video. The melody is something which I also admire, resulting in a catchy song. I actually find the introduction up to 0:10 a bit unnecessary, although attention grabbing, but this could be cut. I also really like the change at 1:58, which could be an interesting challenge to edit to.

The older almost 60s vibe to this tune immediately caught my attention. Very relaxed but with a strong bass line, I could imagine this fitting to a narrative structured music video, with the song not being too distracting to more intense visuals. There are a lot of instrumental elements to this song, which would once again prove a challenge, going slightly against my original intentions of following Dmitri Basil's literal directing style. If I can think of a strong narrative or concept for this track, I think it would be very successful for a music video.


Recordings Exempt from Copyright
The UK Copyright service states under P-07 that after 50 years from the year of the recording or date of release, that specific sound recording is no longer covered under copyright law. However this does not apply to the composition, musical score, lyrics, and artwork which is covered under a separate copyright law, and often prevents the change or editing of a track for profit.

Because of this, I decided to search for some more songs which were recorded in 1964 and before, leaving them outside of the 50 year copyright restriction. Firstly I found a radio site called 'AccuRadio - Oldies 1964 & Before' which showcases various tracks. I also looked through my iTunes library to see if I had any songs from this period.

Calendar Girl - Neil Sedaka: From 1961, this classic song takes you through each month of the year with each verse, and I could see this being an interesting concept to cater the visuals too. As I do not have the time to film in each season, this would require some thought as to how each month could be illustrated, which could prove both limited and complicated.

The End Of The World - Skeeter Davis (1962): A very emotional song from a singer with a country background, I could imagine this being played over near-apocolyptic scenes. A slow song, I definitely think that this would illustrate complicated imagery well, or form a narrative around the same themes of the song; heartbreak, despair, loneliness. Due to the distinctive older sound of this piece, I think it would be interesting to portray more modern themes to create a contrast of imagery.

Green Onions - Booker T & The MG's (1962): Described as a rock instrumental, I also feel that this popular instrumental track of the 60s has a funk edge to it. Whilst instrumentals are quite hard to edit to, I do think that this leaves more scope for the possible interpretations of visuals. The evident 'retro' feel to the piece would enable me to continue with my original plans of a 60s/70s aesthetic music video.

After finding these particular track recordings from the 60's were out of copyright, I definitely want to explore more into each of these singles through the potential imagery I could utilise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________