_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Initial Review

Sunday 30 November 2014


After constructing the first three lines of the video, I was concerned as to the overall flow of each clip in relation to others, although I felt that the more abstract ink in water footage suited the double exposure edit, as well as corresponding to the indie-psych genre of the song.

On review, whilst the footage works well as a standalone clip, I find the contrasting themes distracting from the overall genre of the song. As I decided for my video to be a hybrid between both performance and conceptual - corresponding to Joan Lynch's 1984 theory that music videos fall into at least one of three categories: conceptual, performance, or narrative - I want to push the conceptual aspect to this video through the use of double exposure. Considering that the abstract ink blots are aesthetically effective when paired with this edit, this encourages me to consider further similar additions to continue this level of success.

Below are my construction notes which I completed as I made changes from the original storyboard, documenting the reasons for each change.

Construction Notes:



Audience Feedback:
Throughout my planning I was keen for each lyric to be illustrated in the visuals, following Andrew Goodwin's codes and conventions of a music video, as well as the director Dmitri Basil's work which I was initially inspired by. Upon viewing these lines edited together, I felt that the overall imagery was inconsistent, whilst retaining significance offered within the lyrics.

Keen to gather opinions on this, I asked those within my target audience between the ages of 16-21 for their opinions of the first three shots, specifically if they are consistent and if the imagery flows.
As expected, the overall response to the first clip was positive, with the audience agreeing that the ink and water suits the genre and style of the music video. The response to the two shots that follow this was an overall negative one, agreeing that they were inconsistent with the opening shot. Considering Stuart Hall's theory that we are currently 'prosumers', it is important for me to engage the audience in hopes of positioning the audience to experience a dominant reading.

Considering that my storyboard and production treatment outlines initial inspiration for each lyric grounded through the use of imagery, I would still like to retain this throughout my video. I believe that the framing of the two shots after the ink are the source of the problem, being immediately linear after an abstract, fluid sequence. I intend to rethink these two shots, with the aim to be to retain the illustrative nature of the imagery, to continue the flow of the edit.

Looking forward, I am aware of each edit in relation to it's place in the timeline, and shall reconsider the intended overlaid footage, comparing what shots follow the ink and water sequences effectively, perhaps bringing in more of this footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________