_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Digipak Layout Planning

Thursday 22 January 2015


Looking at existing albums and digipak's that I own, all 5 featured the above dimensions. Considering that the size of the digipak is important as aspects such as the CD holder, inserts, and flaps are all dependent on it's overall dimensions. For this reason, I have decided to adhere to these conventions.

Flatplans
Referring to my research, I chose aspects from each digipak that I liked and merged them together to form the layout of my digipak. For example, I liked the inside left pocket on Bowie's digipak, especially considering that the band I am advertising is unsigned and independent, this allows for greater content, heightening the engagement of the audience. This promotion of a loyal fan base will also be reflected in the inclusion of a thank you note on the 'folded inside panel', adding a personal touch that I admired in Reckless Kelly's digipak.


In order to better visualise the digipak, I created a physical flatplan which I then annotated using After Effects below.



Satisfied by how the physical version came out, I decided to create a .gif to show even more clearly how the digipak will open up. As this has been successful in the paper model, this will be the layout I choose for the final digipak.
Track list
From my research a digipak would normally consist of 12 tracks. From looking at the band's Soundcloud, they have made just 7. Rather than imagine 5 more tracks, I believe that including exclusive or previously unissued content would be an added incentive for loyal fans which a digipak is aimed towards.

Referring back to my research, both digipaks featured exclusive content, with Bowie's digipak offering 3 'Bonus Tracks' and Reckless Kelly's featuring an alternative version of the main track. Considering the indie genre, I think adding acoustic covers and demo tracks will offer insight into their artistic process, of which is heightened within this genre.
I have decided on the track list above. This lists all of the tracks from The Plastic Dots' Soundcloud, with 'bonus tracks' those that I have created. With a live version of the main track that I used for the music video, and an acoustic version of another of their tracks, this strengthens the overall presence of the band. A demo of a new track gives insight into their artistic process, as well as giving a sense of potential that the fans can invest in. Two covers of older songs also suggests their influences, giving background information on the band which is a partial aim of the digipak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________